About Negative Net Worth
At Negative Net Worth, I’m here to teach you about money and how to stop setting it on fire.
I know you’re overwhelmed about how to handle your money as a young professional: how to stop shopping, pay off debt, and save for the future.
I get it. I’ve been there.
The good news? I stopped spending mindlessly, slayed over $100,000 of student loan debt, began saving like a pro, and took control of my life. And I can help you do the same.
Hi! My name is Katherine.
I’m a reformed shopaholic, millennial professional, and student-loan warrior.
I know how it feels:
- to work hard, do everything “right,” get your dream job…and still start from behind because of student loans;
- to use “retail therapy” as a crutch, shop for the latest makeup release, and obsess over the best department-store sales;
- to live paycheck-to-paycheck, even when you have a good job;
- to be utterly confused by student-loan repayment strategies;
- to be unable to control your impulse-shopping;
- to have good credit but no net worth;
- to try, and fail, at budgeting.
If you’ve ever read a personal-finance blog that focused on uber-frugal living, intense early-retirement plans, or fancy investment strategies, and felt you couldn’t connect with the content…I understand. This is NOT one of those blogs. I know where you are right now, and I’m your girl.
I turned it all around, and I have the tools to help you do the same!
You might be wondering how I turned from someone who loved watching makeup hauls on YouTube to someone who is utterly unfazed when I walk by a Sephora.
Or how I went from a person who tried, and failed, to use every budgeting method in the books…to a woman who can’t wait to update her budget every month.
Or how I channeled my impulsive spending habits into aggressively paying back my student loans!
I stopped spending mindlessly, adopted an anti-consumerist mentality, and found the one budgeting tool that works. I believe a few consistent mindset shifts, along with diligent budgeting and accountability, can change you from a shopaholic to a saver.
How can I help you?
I offer tips, tricks, and inspiration along your journey to stop spending, start saving, and stay out of the red. Here are just a few posts you may want to read:
- Why a “No-Buy, Replacement-Only” Strategy Will Change Your Shopping—and Your Savings
- 5 Ways to Avoid Lifestyle Inflation
- How to Love What You Already Have—So You Can Stop Shopping
- The One Thing You MUST Do Before Buying Anything New: H.A.L.T.
I also offer worksheets, checklists, and printables in my amazing free Resource Library, like:
- The “No-Buy, Replacement-Only” Worksheet
- The Weekly Gratitude Worksheet + “No-Buy” Tracker
- The Subscription Box Cleanse Checklist
- The Stop-Shopping Worksheet
- …and more.
You can access these awesome freebies by clicking this button:
So, you can take a deep breath and calm down, because you made it to the premier source for millennial women and money. I’m going to show you how to understand, and control, your spending habits—so you can stop struggling with money once and for all.
Hold on. What is “negative net worth,” anyway?
Quite simply, it’s when your debts exceed your assets.
If you’ve just graduated from college or graduate school, and took out any student loans, you likely have a negative net worth. I certainly did.
You may also have a negative worth if you are 10 years out of college, working a good job—and not even realize it. Factor in credit card debt and auto loans, and you’re looking at a whole lot of red.
But don’t freak out! Starting from behind is daunting, and not at all uncommon. Roughly 40 million Americans have student loan debt, and 59% of millennial graduates have no idea when they will pay off their student loans. One in seven American households has a negative net worth, with credit cards and student loans largely to blame.
By taking the right steps, there IS a way out of the red—a way to beat the statistics.
You’ve got this!
Negative Net Worth will help you take the steps to rein in your spending, start understanding your money, and—bit by bit—turn your negative net worth into something positive.
The world truly opens up for you once you get a handle on your finances. And I can’t wait to walk alongside you on your journey.